Monday, July 24, 2006

Censored by Wiki

OK, maybe it's someone who thinks my math isn't right. But, I think it's more likely the motive is political.

My "Monty Hall over easy" page had been getting a fair number of hits, many directed through the Wikipedia article on the Monty Hall problem. However, someone has re-edited the page (which is how Wiki is supposed to work) and for reasons unknown, deleted my link. Whoever excised the Conant devil then found a way to put a spam-block on the link so that the bad Conant bogeyman couldn't be reinserted.

I wrote a note to Wiki founder Ward Cunningham asking what was up. Hopefully he'll reply.
My take is that political interference is the real cause. Those who reach my Monty page might continue to read other of my pages that have raised hackles. Also, if you don't like what I have to say, you may be tempted to try to undercut whatever credibility I might have. That would include trying to cordon me off as a nobody without competence to criticize the government, or others, on technical matters.

The Wiki nix comes in the context of many other such incidents.

Monty Hall over easy
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nfold/monty.html

BTW, that page adds what I consider an interesting sidelight from mathematical information theory.

2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM , Blogger Paulie said...

I see that everything's settled down now and we're back to dead hyperlinks on this blog.

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger Paulie said...

I checked another Wiki site and the link is still prohibited as a "blacklisted" spam page. I didn't see my link on the blacklist provided by Wiki, however.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home